The Children’s Corner set up in August 2007 in the Parliament Library Building aims at inculcating the reading habit amongst children between 8-17 years of age, particularly those of under-privileged/marginalized sections of the society by providing them easy access to the vast resources of Parliament Library.
Decorated in a befitting manner, the Children’s Corner has in its holdings about 2400 books in English, 1600 in Hindi and 100 books in regional languages besides a number of CDs and DVDs pertaining to different subjects. Eleven periodicals/newsletters of children’s interest in Hindi as well as in English are being regularly subscribed for the Children’s Corner. The Corner, remains open from 1100 hrs to 1700 hrs on all working days and offers the children a warm, colourful and inviting place to visit. The documents/CDs/DVDs available in the Corner are for consultation/use in the Library only and are not issued. The Children’s Corner also has a well-developed Multimedia Centre equipped with Computers with internet facility. Children are encouraged to make use of the computers as an educational tool.
Membership of the Children’s Corner is open to:
· Children/grand children of the members of Parliament and former members of Parliament who have obtained membership of the Parliament Library
· Children of the permanent employees of the Secretariats of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs
· Children of the Journalists accredited to the Press Gallery of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha
· Children sponsored by the registered NGOs and authorised by Director, Parliament Library
· Children sponsored by recognized schools
Membership is given for six months on submission of prescribed Form(Form Download) with required documents and is renewable on half- yearly basis.