It was only after the Constituent Assembly of India undertook drafting of a new Constitution for independent India that the demands for the library started multiplying and in pursuance to this an independent and comprehensive Library service was envisioned. The year 1950, when India became a Sovereign, Democratic Republic, saw the beginning of a systematic expansion of the Parliament Library’s collections, both quantitatively and qualitatively. Concerted efforts were made during the period 1950-55 to further consolidate the Library by increasing the purchase of books and entering into exchange arrangements with various institutions and organizations in India and abroad. Soon, the “Parliament Library” became a repository Library for UN publications and all its allied agencies and started receiving the Command Papers of UK and Government Publications from USA and several other countries. This expansion necessitated the reorganization of the Library in the year 1956, again in 1966 and once again in December 1974 with a view to further strengthening various services extended to members.
Library and Reference Research Documentation & Information Service (LARRDIS)
During the past six decades, the Library as well as Research and Reference Services for members of Parliament have gradually developed into what is now referred to as the Library and Reference, Research, Documentation and Information Service, more familiar by its acronym, LARRDIS. The present set-up and nomenclature of the integrated service was the result of a functional re-organisation of the Secretariats of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha effected during 1974-75.